Who We Are
The Sisters of Charity were founded by Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, in the spirit of Saint Vincent de Paul and Saint Louise de Marillac, in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in 1809. In 1859 Mother Mary Xavier Mehegan founded the New Jersey community known as the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth.
Today the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth are engaged in education, health care, pastoral and social service ministries in 22 dioceses within the United States, in El Salvador, Central America and Haiti, Port Au Prince. The Congregation currently numbers 348 vowed members. The Seton Associate relationship has 265 affiliated lay and religious women and men.
Sister Rosemary Moynihan, SC, General Superior
Campus of Motherhouse: Administration Building, Convent of Saint Elizabeth, Holy Family Chapel, Academy of Saint Elizabeth, College of Saint Elizabeth
The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth are represented in the Archdioceses of Boston, Hartford, Newark, New York, and San Salvador, El Salvador and Haiti, Port Au Prince the Dioceses of Atlanta, Camden, Charlotte, El Paso, Fall River, Gallup, Jackson, Metuchen, Palm Beach, Paterson, Pensacola-Tallahassee, Raleigh, Trenton, Tucson, Wilmington and Wheeling-Charleston.